newsletter sign up
Subscribe to our
Sign me up >
lmnop blog sign up
Make this quick and easy, homemade bird cake to hang in the backyard, then watch and wait for your hungry feathered friends to join you.
photographed & created by kate lilley
You will need:
Wild bird seed
Recycled yoghurt pot or plastic cup
1. Make a small hole in the bottom of a clean yoghurt pot or small plastic cup. Thread
a piece of string through the hole and round a popsicle stick at the opening. Tie a secure knot on the inside. Allow for enough length in the piece of string so you can tie the pot to a tree branch later on.
2. Let the lard reach room temperature, then cut up into small pieces and add to a
3. Add equal quantities of the bird seed, peanuts, grated cheese, and raisins to the bowl and mix them together with your hands. Keep adding small amounts of each ingredient until the lard holds the mixture together.
4. Fill your pots with bird cake mixture and put them in the fridge to set for an hour or so. Once the cake is set, use a knife or scissors to cut away the pot.
5. Hang your bird cake from a tree branch and pretty soon a variety of bird species will be stopping by for a feed.
Visit Kate Lilley’s blog, Mini-eco for more great ideas on how to have fun with your kids.