lmnop blog sign up
Decorating like a Dane
Pregnant with her first baby, Gillian Rose fell in love with the fresh, simple beauty of the Scandinavian nursery. Convinced that other mums would be enchanted too, she imported a container of Danish nursery furniture and Danish by Design was launched. “The Scandinavian folk really know how to make a room look spacious, clean and charming,” says Gillian. “The key components are its clean lines and its inspiration from nature.” Here are her six top tips for creating the perfect Scandinavian nursery.
Scandi style, step-by-step:
1. Soft white: White helps to lighten sun-starved spaces and can make small rooms magically appear large. White works well with timber floors and gives a room a modern and stylish aura. The room won’t look too overpowering either, once all the toys start creeping in.
2. Light and natural wood: Natural or whitewashed floorboards and nursery furniture enhance the light feeling. Dark furniture can also work as it contrasts the rest of the room, but it does need more space. Use wooden and soft toys to complete the theme.
3. Simplicity: Don’t clutter the room with too much furniture or decorative objects. The nursery should have a classic feel to it, leaving the white walls and natural wood furniture to give it a contemporary edge.
4. Colour palette: A bit of colour gives the space life, but don’t overcomplicate things – stick to one or two colours and make a theme. If you use strong colours make sure they’re offset by natural materials.
5. Style: Avoid multi-coloured gimmicky designs! Consider each item as if you were choosing it for yourself. Not that all things have to be for grown ups –they just need to be tasteful and simple. Things like curtains, bed linen, photo frames, blankets and bedside lamps.
6. Quality: Well-made purchases will reward you every time. With quality comes great design and with that, great functionality. Buy classic as opposed to trendy and your nursery will last the distance.
Find more ideas and a whole range of stylish and beautiful items for your Scandinavian nursery at danishbydesign.com.au.